Meatballs are known as kebabs or kebaabs among South African Indians. It should not be confused with the Middle Eastern kebab. The kebab chutney is a popular fast food served in a roti roll in many Durban Indian food establishments. Soya mince (ground soya) can be used for a vegetarian option to this popular dish.
Ingredients for the kebaab
500g of minced lamb (ground meat) – chicken, soya or other ground meat may be used
1 sprig of thyme
5 leaves of mint
2 sprigs of spring onions
1 sprig of freshly cut coriander
½ an onion finely diced
1 teaspoon of mixed ginger and garlic paste
1 well beaten egg
¼ cup of bread crumbs
50g of soya mince (soak the mince in hot water until it is soft and easy to handle but do not allow it to get waterlogged)
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons of hot mixed curry powder
¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 ½ teaspoons of mixed cumin and coriander powder
2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
Ingredients for the tomato chutney
6 low acid or jam tomatoes grated
1 grated onion
2 green chillies slit lengthwise
1½ teaspoons of chilli powder
¼ teaspoon of mixed coriander and cumin powder
A pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
A pinch of mustard seeds
3 curry leaves
2 sprigs of chopped spring onions
2 sprigs of chopped mint
A sprig of freshly cut coriander for garnishing
Method for the kebaab
- Combine mince, ginger and garlic, thyme, chopped mint, onion, salt, chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder, hot curry powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix the ingredients well to ensure even distribution.
- Add in a little soya mince even if it is a meat dish (but it is optional) with beaten egg and bread crumbs to form a firm dough like mixture.
- Shape into golf sized balls.
- Deep fry or bake till done.
- Set aside for now.
Preparing the tomato chutney
- Heat the oil in a pot.
- Add ½ the grated onion, spring onion, thyme, 1 slit chilli, 2 curry leaves, mustard seeds 1 sprig each of mint and spring onion.
- Allow to simmer till the onions turn transparent.
- Stir in the chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder.
- Simmer for a few seconds then add in the tomatoes, ½ the grated onion, mint spring onion, salt and slit green chilli.
- Simmer and cook the chutney until the tomatoes have melted. Add in ¼ teaspoon of sugar and mix well.
- Stir in the kebaab and garnish with coriander.